Monday, May 1, 2017

My Best Girl

It's been years since I've posted an update here.  This blog started as a way to keep track of Iris' training progress after I adopted her and turned into the story of our growing relationship.  She always made me smile and sometimes drove me to tears, but I wouldn't trade a single day with her.  For nearly 10 years, she was my very best girl.



Iris
(May 6, 2003 - March 15, 2017)

To a Life Well Lived

She lived her life fully, intensely, and without apology. From agility to herding to hiking to keeping my feet warm at the office, she was ready to conquer anything and everything (including the UPS truck). She was my constant - moving twice and traveling more, changing jobs, losing jobs, and creating our own opportunities. She inspired me and made me laugh. She taught me patience and the importance of having a good pillow to come home to after every adventure. And oh how we did adventure. We saw sunrises and sunsets, played in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, climbed mountains, and slept under the stars. We spent days curled up on the couch, watching the world through the window. We got stuck in the rain and mud a few times too, but no journey is really complete if everything goes according to plan. She was my muse, my protector, and my shadow. My life will never be the same without her.

To the best little red dog, I love you. I miss you.

No comments: