Sunday, June 29, 2008

Family Relations

I've been poking around the internet looking to see if I can find anything out about the dogs in Iris' pedigree. I actually did manage to find Iris' breeder - Dogone Australian Shepherds. The website isn't much of anything, but the Puppies page says "All our puppies have been placed in their new homes. The next planned litter will be in November of 2003 on the West Coast." Iris was born in May '03 so I bet she's one of the puppies they'd just placed. I wish there were pictures! The breeder hasn't responded to emails, but it could easily just be an out-of-date address. It's too bad because I'd love to talk to her about her dogs. I might try getting in touch with Pincie Creek since that's who bred her dam. I'm mostly just curious about what the dogs in her pedigree were like. It'd be nice to know if any of her close relatives had any health problems too.

I couldn't find anything about Iris' parents, but I did find a couple of dogs further back in her pedigree. It looks (to me anyway, although I don't really know much about pedigrees) like Iris is from a conformation x working cross.

The closest relative I found is Iris' grandfather on her dam's side: Justus McCain of Pincie Creek. Isn't he handsome? Even if he doesn't have witch-hat ears.

Her great grandfather on her dam's side is Shope's Goodnight Bandit. Down at the bottom it says he carried little coat until he was about 6 years old. Iris just turned 5 and I think she has a light coat compared to most show Aussies. I like her coat because it's so "wash and wear." After so many years of keeping my Wheaten in full coat, it's kind of nice to go weeks between full groomings. Bandit's coat at 4 years looks thicker than Iris' coat now (or maybe just better groomed).

On her sire's side, I found her great-grandfather and great-grandmother. If you scroll down a bit, you'll see Gingerlynn's Patrick O'Shannon and Misty Blue of Southwynd. Their About Us page has a little bit more about Paddy.

And that's all I could find!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Wow, you've done a lot of research!

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

This dog expected a litter in 03..
http://www.dogoneaussies1.net/chpaddy.html
His pedigree...
http://www.dogoneaussies1.net/Ch_Gingerlynn_s_Patrick_O_Shannon_CD_ATDd_STDsc_DNA_CP.htm

Tell me who the parents are -- I will ask on the conf forum I post on if anyone is familiar with the dogs. There is a large handful of ASCA juniors on there and you never know who knows something.

Blue said...

Julie - Iris is my first purebred who I actually have a pedigree for, so I just thought it would be neat to see if I could find anything about her. I actually found more than I thought I was going to!

Cat - Oh cool, that's Iris' great-grandfather. It'd be awesome if you could ask about her. Her sire is "Dogone's Shamrock for Paddy" and her dam is "Dogone Joli Rouge Pincie Creek" (ASCA, or alternatively she's "Pincie Creek Dogone Joli Rouge" in AKC). Iris is registered as Dogone Peach Petit Four.