Saturday, May 2, 2009

Seizure

I woke up this morning to the sound of Iris having a seizure. *&^@$%@! Luckily, it's Sat so I got her in to see my regular vet as soon as they opened.

As far as I know, she's just had one grand mal seizure. I'm not positive on how long it lasted because it took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. Maybe 20 seconds? Seemed like an eternity. It's the first time she's had a seizure (that I know of) in the not quite 2 years that I've had her.

The vet checked her over and everything seemed fine. We're waiting on blood work results which will hopefully come in on Monday. At the beginning of Jan, we did blood work because of her eyes which all came back normal, so at least we have a baseline.

Iris seems back to normal now. She's tired, but that might be from the stress of being at the vet (according to Iris, getting her temp taken is something akin to medieval torture). I've got no real plans for the rest of the weekend, so I can hang around here to keep an eye on her. I'll decide about work on Monday depending on how the rest of the weekend goes. Alternately, I have been thinking about setting up a webcam to get a better feel of her separation anxiety. Would it make me crazy to watch my dog while I'm at work? Probably. I might do it anyway.

I have considered that there might be something environmental that caused Seamus' death and Iris' seizure, but right now I don't think so. Because of how sensitive birds are and because of Iris' allergies, I've been pretty careful about chemicals/cleaners/etc in the house. I've racked my brain and can't come up with anything. Unless it's coming from a different apartment and getting circulated through the building? Most people here have kids so I think that's pretty unlikely. Right now, I don't believe the two are linked, though I haven't ruled it out completely.

Now we just get to wait and see. I know one isolated seizure isn't something to panic about yet, but it's still scary to have seen her like that.

6 comments:

Jules said...

Oh, Blue. How scary!!! I hope she is okay. She hasn't had any recent vaccines, has she? Poor Iris. Poor you. Please keep us posted!!

Blue said...

The last time she was vaccinated was 10 months ago, so I don't think that's it. The only thing she's actually due for this year will be lepto, and I think now I probably won't give her that. It's been a few weeks since she had her heartworm preventative, and I've never used any chemical flea/tick prevention.

One other thought I had was maybe something was used to treat the lawns? And Iris licked it off her paws? With the number of kids that play outside, I think they'd be careful about what they're using, but maybe not. I'll have to go ask.

Jules said...

Oh Blue...so scary. You and Iris are in my thoughts.

It's amazing the stuff people are willing to put on grass. Scary.

Diana said...

Sorry to hear about the seizure. My dog has seizures too. I think they started after he was 2yr.old. I hope things get better. Diana

Blue said...

Hi Diane, how's your guy doing now? Do you have his seizures under control?

Iris is almost 6, and I was thinking that was too old for epilepsy to be showing up, but my vet seems to think that's a possibility.

Katrin said...

Oh hell. I am so sorry to hear. I hope it is just a 1x occurance and never happens again. So damn scary.