Thursday, January 14, 2010

No News

No news is good news! I really don't have anything new to report about Iris' epilepsy. The funny thing about epilepsy is that's the whole goal of treating it - to have no news. Right now Iris is laying at my feet while I type, acting perfectly happy and healthy. If you didn't know Iris and met her on the street right now, you'd think she's completely healthy. That's the funny thing about it. The point isn't to alleviate a symptom, it's to prevent one.

At least that's the way it seems. Although maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. From a TCM perspective if there's an imbalance in Iris' Qi, then we are treating the problem and not just preventing it. I admit it, even though I know this is a 50/50 shot I'm really hoping it works. And really trying not to get my hopes up too high. Still, one of these days we're going to get a break, aren't we?

Iris had her second acupuncture on Tuesday. It went well, Iris was very good and very relaxed. She got more needles this time than last. Three across her forehead, one right between her eyes, two behind her ears, one between her shoulder blades, two midway down her back, one a few inches above her tail, one on each of her back legs, and one on the inside of each of her "ankles" (I write this down mostly so that I can keep track of it for my own curiosity!) 14 needles total. Iris only flinched once. It was for one of the needles behind her ear. Other than that, she was completely relaxed.

The 27th will be four weeks since Iris' last seizure. That means we should be able to get in one more appointment next week and then her fourth appointment will be on 27th. Iris has not gone longer than 6 weeks between seizures since this started, and she hasn't managed that since last summer. Holding my breath.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Fingers and paws are crossed that this is an effective treatment for Iris. I am so impressed that she is so relaxed!

Diana said...

Keeping my fingers crossed. Diana