Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Agility Class and Lame Dogs

Here's the course from last night (thanks Katrin!). It was an interesting course with a couple obstacles that Iris hasn't seen in a while - the a-frame and the tire.

Unfortunately, Iris never ran the full course. We started out by just working on the tire because Iris wasn't quite sure what to do with it. She just wasn't convinced that I wanted her to go over and not under. The second obstacle was 12 weave poles with cages all on. Iris bounded right in (I think she was glad to be doing weaves instead of the tire!) Then my poor girlie came out of the poles limping. I stopped her and Katrin helped stretch out Iris' back legs. After trotting a bit, she seemed like she was able to walk it off. She must have done something in the weaves (or maybe started to do something with the tire and made it worse with weaves?) Iris decided to do the a-frame on her own, so we kept going with her. She seemed ok. She wasn't limping. She was fine going up and down the a-frame and wasn't refusing jumps but she was definitely not herself. However, she was doing a lot more sniffing than she has in weeks. I was worried about her, and she was probably picking up on that too.

The second time I ran her, she was ok at the beginning, but after jump #15 she skipped the next jump and the tunnel to go in her crate. She never does that. I had her do one more jump just so she doesn't get in the habit of quitting when she feels like it, but she'd had enough. Thinking about it now, I don't think she was 100% even though she was walking fine on it. I think she was just pretending to fine.

After our herding lesson couple weeks ago, Iris limped for about 24 hrs. Both times, it's been her rear end (herding was rear right, not sure which it was this time). Katrin suggested taking Iris to the chiropractor. When Iris walks, her back feet step very close together, almost like she's walking a tightrope. She's got a very feminine little hip wiggle, but it's not very structurally sound. If her pelvis is out of alignment, it could be making that worse.

I've thought about taking Iris to the chiropractor before, and it looks like it's time for me to stop procrastinating.

3 comments:

Jules said...

I def. think Iris would benefit from a visit to the chiropractor.

You might want to give her arnica after herding, agility, or whenever she has displayed lameness in the past.

Katrin said...

it was right rear on Tue as well.

Did you get the e-mail I sent you with info for the chiro in it? I think some of my e-mails to people are getting lost in cyber space.

Blue said...

Katrin, I did get your email! Thank you so much. :) I was going to email you this afternoon, but work sort of imploded today.

Julie, thanks for the advice about the arnica! Herding seemed to make her the most sore, so I'll try it next time. My poor girlie.