Sunday, February 15, 2009

Beach Trip

Horray! Got Iris out to play at the beach today and she had a BLAST! Unfortunately, I am a bad photographer and forgot to pack the memory card for my camera. Brought everything else - camera, batteries, water for Iris, extra sweatshirt for me (which I didn't need - it was beautiful out), multiple leashes for my one dog... But not the memory card. So you'll have to make do with just words. At least now I can probably justify buying that second memory card.

We made the trip down to Horseneck Beach in Westport. My original plan was to try Goosebury Island first because it's usually pretty empty, but it was actually more crowded than Horseneck. Goosebury is a much smaller space, and too many people had the same idea I did.

It was the first time I've brought Iris to the ocean. She generally isn't interested in swimming, and once she'd determined that while the ocean looks like water it definitely does not taste like it, she was happy to play on the beach. After a little bit of walking, we got a stretch of beach to ourselves and I let Iris run. She was thrilled. She thinks the best game ever is if we both run in great big circles. Silly herder. She really got to stretch her muscles and tired herself out. People who have dogs that will hapily chase a ball up and down the beach have it easy. My dog? She wants to chase me. Goofy girl.

Iris was also a complete Saint with the other dogs and people. Maybe because she could see them coming from such a long was off? She met quite a few dogs and was polite with all of them. She even ran around and played with a Collie mix! I think maybe she misses her Beagle. Yeah, I was kicking myself for not having the camera. She said hi to a number of strange people, including men, with no hesitation. I think it's because everyone kept telling her how beautiful she is. Sometimes she's quite a ham. There were also a couple of horses at the beach, and Iris pretty much ignored them (in the past, she's been rather convinced that horses are the same as cows and probably should be herded).

Now I need to find a weekend to bring her back. Horseneck closes their beaches to dogs on March 14th. I think this is because of the Piping Plovers who return to nest in late March. Goosebury Island might be more leinent about dogs. Otherwise we'll have to look for somewhere new. I definitely want Iris to see the beach again soon. She's slept solidly since we got home!

No comments: