Monday, March 31, 2008

Nail Biting

Iris is sitting next to me right now, happily chewing on her nails. I know a lot of people with this habit, but I've never heard of a dog doing this. In the 8 or so months I've had her, I've clipped her nails once. Not because she really needed it done, but because I wanted to make sure she'd let me do it. I checked her nails a few days ago. They weren't long enough to clip. She has plenty of toys she could be chewing on instead.

It's not an obsessive habit. I'll see her do it once every couple weeks (although she could do it when I'm at work, her nails don't look like she does). She never bites them short enough to bleed, so I let her. I have my bad habits too.

She's just an odd little dog.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Hmmm...maybe she needs protein?

Just teasing!

Makin & Tessa (Lael and Neil) said...

Can she teach Makin and Tessa how to do this. We did nails last night and it is not on my list of favorite things to do!

Blue said...

Julie, she probably thinks she needs more protein after hearing you and Katrin talking about raw diets. She's jealous! Hehehe

Neil and Lael, I'm still trying to get her to teach the Beagle! He's got those awful black nails that are so hard to see. Iris has the nice, easy white nails that of course I never have to clip.