Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Space

I'm beginning to think that the dog yard isn't big enough for 12 weave poles. The area behind my house is fenced for the dogs, but it's only a small part of the yard. Iris can't be outside of the fence because she's obsessed with cars. Really obsessed. Katrin noticed that Iris' ears prick up every time a car drives past during class. The arena isn't even that close to the street.

So, here's the dog yard with 12 poles set up. If you look close, you can see the dirt "racetrack" Iris is making as she runs from one side to the other to watch cars pass.



This is the part of the yard I'd like to practice in. It's the biggest part of the yard. I'd say about triple the size of the dog pen.


Here's the other side of the yard. Not quite as big as the first side but still bigger than the dog yard.


In both of those photos it's a little hard to tell, but the road is just outside of the frame (my house is on the corner). Even though it's a pretty quiet neighborhood, there's enough cars that Iris can't be loose. I'm trying to come up with an idea for some sort of temporary fencing. My dad likes the way the yard looks without a fence, so I need something I can easily put up while we practice and then take down when we're done. My dog breaks enough things inside the house, I probably shouldn't break the yard too... It also needs to be pretty inexpensive. Plastic snow fencing has potential.

Iris says "Let me out!"

3 comments:

Katrin said...

Until you said "inexpensive" I was going to suggest x-pens. Snow fencing could work with electric fence posts to stake it in the ground

Jules said...

That yard just screams out for agility equipment!!

Blue said...

I considered x-pens very briefly until I thought about just how many I'd need for that space! It's too bad, x-pens would definitely look nicer than snow fencing. But I really just need something to get in her way if/when she decides to chase cars.

It's such a big space, it needs some agility equipment in it :)