Thursday, March 10, 2011

Phenobarb Recall

I just came across this recall and figured I'd pass it along in case there are any other epi dog owners who read this blog.

Mislabled Phenobarbitol Recalled

The affected lots were distributed nationwide to retail and wholesale pharmacies between Sept. 21 and Dec. 29, 2010.

So the wrong medications were distributed in September and a recall was issued in February?  WTF?  I'm so angry right now.  Whatever happened to quality control?  I don't believe Iris has taken any of the recalled drugs.  The Pb I have right now is from a different manufacturer than the one affected by the recall, and Iris usually gets 30mg tabs (the recall is for 32.4mg tabs).  She hasn't had 32.4mg tabs in quite a long time.

I just think it's unbelievable how long it took them to issue a recall.  I get Iris' prescription refilled every 30 days.  Any medication she took in September is long gone by now.  I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed something was VERY wrong as soon as she started taking the wrong medication, but would anyone have figured out it was because the drug was mislabeled?

3 comments:

Jules said...

Ugh - that sucks.

Anonymous said...

i never ever heard of a tablet 32.4mg for phenobarb--

Blue said...

I haven't seen the 32.4mg very often. 32.4mg is equal to 1/2 grain. You really only see grain as a measurement for drugs that have been around for a while (Pb), since grain is a sort of outdated measurement. It seems like most manufacturers have switched to an even 30mg.